When there are so many options for summer enrichment and education, why should students and parents consider the Queen City Double Reed Camp?
Queen City Double Reed Camp is a unique opportunity in the Midwest for double reed students to spend a whole week immersed in musically enriching and mentally engaging activities related specifically to their instrument. At the end of Queen City Double Reed Camp, our students return to their homes and school music programs with new friends, new mentors, new challenges, and a strong desire to make more music and to have more fun doing it.
Reasons your student should attend Queen City Double Reed Camp:
- Targeted, fun music and oboe-specific activities to promote higher level thinking.
- Exposure to renown teachers and special guests who are prominent double reed professionals in Cincinnati and the Midwest. Current and former guests include: Lon Bussell from the Cincinnati Symphony, Dr. Mark Ostoich from CCM, Robert and Bailey Sorton and their quartet OBOHIO, Sarah Thelen of Fox Products.
- Develop critical-thinking, problem-solving, and leadership skills through performances, classes, and ensemble rehearsals.
- Daily, hands-on reed making workshop with expert instruction and personal attention.
- Spiraling curriculum of oboe related topics suitable for all playing levels. Topics may include:
- Technique and facility including upper register technique, trill fingerings, harmonic fingerings, etc.
- Techniques for good tone production, intonation, and vibrato
- Developing an effective embouchure
- Survey of repertoire specific to double reed instruments
- Articulation techniques including double tonguing
- Performance technique and practice strategies
- Structured study will include Private Lessons, Master Classes, and participation in double reed ensembles
- Special topics courses including audition preparation, auxiliary instruments, instrument building, repair, and adjustments.
- An opportunity to attend a professional local performance.*
- Round table discussions with expert musicians on a variety of topics.
- An opportunity for students to engage with Xavier University’s campus through activities fostering community, education, and enrichment.
The 2014 Queen City Double Reed Camp will be July 21-25 on the campus of Cincinnati’s Xavier University. Please visit our camp website for more information about our faculty and the registration process: http://www.queencitydoublereedcamp.com/
*Cost of attending a professional performance is included in the overnight camp tuition fee. Day campers are encouraged to participate, but there will be an extra cost to attend the scheduled performance.